Sarasota Appellate Attorney
When two parties take a dispute to trial, the end result will always be a disappointment to one of them. However, if the outcome was due to an error by the court, you may have options through the appellate system. An appeal offers a chance to resolve mistakes as another court reviews the trial proceedings, though many parties incorrectly assume that the process is an opportunity to retry the case.
Regardless of whether you are seeking review or must respond to an appellate case, it is critical to retain knowledgeable legal counsel for assistance. Our Sarasota appellate attorney at HD Law Partners are prepared to advocate on your behalf throughout the process, so please contact our office today. We can schedule a free consultation to assess your situation, but you may also find it useful to read some of the basics.
Summary of Florida Appeals Laws
Once a final judgment has been entered in a civil case, a party alleging error can initiate the appellate process. It starts by filing a Notice of Appeal with the relevant court, which would be the Florida Second District Court of Appeal for cases originating in Sarasota County. Then, the appellant seeking review will file a brief alleging mistakes at the trial level, the legal reasons they should be resolved, and a request for the appeals court to correct them. These documents must be forwarded to the other party, as appellee. The appellate case then proceeds through multiple stages, including:
- The appellee filing a response brief arguing why the trial judge’s decision should not be overturned;
- Oral arguments; and,
- A decision by the appellate court.
There will be no witnesses testifying during an appeal, since the judges are only allowed to review the written transcript of the trial and all exhibits.
Findings of the Appellate Court
Because they are limited according to the rules of appellate review, the judges may decide to:
- Reject the appeal and uphold the findings of the trial court judge;
- Find that a mistake was made and reverse the decision of the trial court;
- State the nature of the error and provide directions for the lower court to resolve it; or,
- Any combination of the above.
How Our Sarasota Appeals Attorneys Can Help
HD Law Partners are prepared to advance your interests throughout the appellate process. We will assist by:
- Advising you on options and appeals issues;
- Reviewing the trial court record and pinpointing potential errors;
- Conducting necessary research;
- Preparing the Notice of Filing and brief;
- Responding to key issues raised by the appellee’s brief;
- Arguing on your behalf before the appeals court; and,
- Performing all legal tasks necessary to achieve your goals in the appellate process.
Consult with Our Sarasota Appellate Attorneys About Your Options
For more information on appeals in Florida, please call HD Law Partners to speak to one of our lawyers. You can set up a no-cost consultation by calling our Sarasota, FL office at 800-876-3392 or going online. Our team has over 40 years of combined experience in litigation and appellate matters, so we are ready to fight to obtain the best possible outcome.