Fort Myers Appellate Attorney
Appeals are an integral part of the US legal system, but they are also the most misunderstood by parties wondering about their rights after a trial. Litigants do have the option to take a case to appeal, but the proceeding does not involve a retrial as many assume. In addition to this key factor, there are many other details and nuances about the law that make the appellate process extremely complicated.
Retaining knowledgeable legal counsel is essential to protecting your interests, so you can count on our attorneys at HD Law Partners to obtain the best possible result in an appeal. We have more than four decades of combined experience representing parties seeking review, but we are equally skilled at responding to appellate matters filed by others. Please contact our firm to schedule a free consultation with a Fort Myers appellate attorney, and check out a summary of the relevant laws.
Synopsis of Florida Appeals
After the trial court enters its final order, any party can initiate the appellate process by filing a Notice of Appeal with the proper court; the Florida Second District Court of Appeal handles cases for Bradenton and Lee County. The appellant pursuing the appeal will also submit a brief that contains:
- A description of the alleged mistakes at the trial level;
- Laws and legal concepts that support review and resolution of these errors; and,
- A request that the appellate court correct the errors and enter other forms of relief.
The party opposing the appeal, the appellee, will have an opportunity to respond to the legal issues by filing its own brief. Then, the court may set up oral arguments to ask questions or request additional clarification on the topics raised by each party. The appellate process concludes by the judges issuing a decision and opinion, such as:
- Rejecting the appellant’s appeal and upholding the order of the trial court;
- Identifying an error by the trial court judge, followed by a reversal of the court’s decision OR remanding the case with instructions to resolve mistakes; or,
- Reversing or upholding parts of the trial court’s findings.
Our Fort Myers Appellate Attorneys Will Guide You Through the Process
HD Law Partners is committed to providing solid legal services throughout the appeals process. We are prepared to tackle all the necessary tasks, which may include:
- Reviewing the trial court record and exhibits to pinpoint errors;
- Advising you on your options and appellate strategies;
- Assessing the statutes, case precedents, and rules that support your position;
- Preparing the Notice of Appeal and brief according to deadlines;
- Responding to issues raised by the appellee’s brief; and,
- Representing you during oral arguments before the appeals court judges.
Trust Your Case to Our Fort Myers Appellate Attorneys
To learn more about the appellate process and potential strategies for your case, please call HD Law Partners at 800-876-3392 or visit our website to set up a complimentary consultation at our office in Fort Myers. We can advise you on the proceedings after we review your unique circumstances.