Orlando Appellate Attorney
Regardless of whether a party won or lost at the trial court level, they do have the option to take the case to appeal under Florida law. However, many litigants do not have a full understanding of what the appellate process entails. Rather than retrying the issues, appeals are focused on resolving errors made by the trial court judge. The relevant laws are even more complicated at the appellate level, so you put your rights at risk unless you have skilled legal counsel at your side.
At HD Law Partners, our lawyers have extensive experience in appeals and high-level knowledge of the laws that apply to your case. Please contact our office today to set up a no-cost appointment with an Orlando appellate attorney who can explain how the process works. You might also benefit from reviewing some background information.
How the Appellate Process Works in Florida
The appeals process begins just as the trial proceedings end and a final judgment is entered. The first step is filing a Notice of Appeal with the Florida Fifth District Court of Appeal, which covers Orlando and Orange County. The appellant seeking correction of errors must submit the essential paperwork within 30 days after the final trial court order. Then, the appellant is required to prepare a brief for the appeals judges, which will include:
- A description of the alleged errors by the trial court;
- Laws and legal precedent regarding why the mistakes should be correct; and,
- A request for relief on how the appellate court should resolve the errors.
The appellant must forward copies of all relevant documents to the opposing party, the appellee. There will be an opportunity for the appellee to respond in a written brief, and the court may then set up oral arguments. The parties, through their attorneys, will have the opportunity to argue their respective positions before the appellate court enters a finding.
Results of the Appellate Process
There are no witnesses testifying or evidence presented in an appeals case, as the judges are limited to the written trial transcript and exhibits. In addressing alleged mistakes, the appeals court may:
- Find that there were no errors and uphold the trial court’s decision;
- Reverse the trial court because of a key mistake;
- Identify the error and instruct the lower court to resolve it; or,
- Take other action pursuant to the circumstances.
Our Orlando Appeals Attorneys Assist with All Essential Tasks
At HD Law Partners, our team is prepared to handle the entire appellate process, including:
- Advising you on key issues and strategies;
- Analyzing the trial court record to identify potential errors;
- Evaluating the relevant laws, case precedent, and court rules;
- Filing the Notice of Appeal and brief; and,
- Representing you during oral arguments.
Call Now to Speak with Our Orlando Appellate Lawyers
If you need legal advice to seek an appeal or assistance fighting a case, please call HD Law Partners right away. We have over 40 years of combined experience representing clients in appellate matters and other types of litigation, so we are ready to tackle the complicated legal issues. You can reach our Orlando office at 888-267-5651 or via our website to schedule a free consultation.